Count Down

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Week 16 La Entrada


We have been wondering how the branch party went and the meat preparations; tell us how you cooked and seasoned it.  Did it take you all day to get ready? Well the party went well, but it started an hour late just like everything in Central America. We cooked 36 lbs. of carne asada on charcoal grills that were way small like 2.5 sq. ft. of cooking area after an hour of lighting the grill and 1 hour of cooking we were done. I didn’t have to cook I just had to purchase all the other stuff and we ran around and made sure that everything was ok.   Three minutes before the meeting started, 1 hour late, we made an agenda and winged it but all went well and we still had 500 lempiras left over from our 2500 lempira budget.  We only were short one plate for someone to take home to their father who couldn’t come. The sister missionary’s did help the day of the party. But the day before we had to buy all the stuff and haul it to the church. We bought nearly 200lbs of charcoal and I was carrying all of it.  I had carried all of it for about 1/2 mile and my comp was like are you weak, so I gave it to him, he carried if for about 50 feet and someone came to help him because he couldn’t do it.  The church writes a check of the amount and we cashed it and we bought everything with cash then turn in the money not used, I had to keep track of all the cash and receipts.






Is the little boy still planning on being baptized soon? Yes he is planning on being baptized the 27th, so this week, we will see if everything goes as planned.

What was the spiritual experience of the week? I think it was giving a blessing. We went to the tangos again and we visit one of our investigators and he said that he was going to move to San Pedro so I was a little sad. But we went next door to talk with a non-active family, one of their daughters was sick; she had been in bed for 3 days. When we first saw her, a 14-year-old girl, she looked practically dead, lying on her bed. We gave her a blessing.  My companion did the blessing and I anointed. We made some tortillas and went back to the other member’s house that lives next door and ate.   We decided to go back and check on her.  She was going in and out of consciousness, she really couldn’t breath and she was practically dead. My companion said that I was going to give her another blessing of comfort and so I did. Well it was a little scary to try and keep your hands on a head that was moaning.  We told them don’t run next door and buy whatever pills you can just so she can have pills. Give her a drink of this soda and give her some space, not 3 people sitting around her on her bed. I remember in the blessing I said, “tomorrow you will be better.” Well all that night I was thinking and wanted to know how she was doing.
3 days later we went back, she was a lot better.   All I can say is that the priesthood is real and it can change some things and help people. 

Do you think you or your companion will be transferred or could you both stay together for another transfer? Do they try and keep you in the same region or could it send you across the mission? I don’t know I think that I will be transferred but who knows. We will see in 2 weeks. 

Do you have a better idea on when you will be able to Skype? I will try to Skype on Christmas at 6 in the night Honduras time.  We will be at Hna G. house.  How long will you be able to Skype?  I think 40 minutes to an hour.  We have to be home before 7 but we don’t really have appointments this week so we will see what happens.  There are a lot of drunks and the biggest problem is the fireworks right now you can’t walk 100 feet without a firework going off. Some of the fireworks are as big as sticks of dynamite. We have a lot of family’s that we are going to visit on Christmas that say there going to give us food, we have tons of tamales coming and maybe even a couple chickens cooked in the wood fired ovens

Did you get your package for Christmas?   Are you giving the gifts to people? No I didn’t get my package yet but I think that I will get it tomorrow.  I received the package from the Isom’s but I haven’t opened it yet, I will open it on Christmas.  I bought me a tie today for Christmas and I am going to buy my companion a backpack. 

The first picture is of a nativity scene of one of the members.   She is the grandma of the kid that we will baptize.

A picture of my comp. He picked up the bag of meat and got juices all over his shirt. 


My companion and I on the bridge to Santa Luz.


A pastry that I ate this morning it was good but like everything they cook it till it is not soft. 

It cost me 8 lempiras.

A picture inside the bakery

How is the language coming? I can understand but I still cant talk really good so I don’t talk that much which makes the people think that I am not able to, but I really can speak ok. 

Honestly I don’t miss anyone. But sometimes I want to switch my companion for someone from home that knows the customs of the U.S. like when you spill beef raw beef juice all over you, don’t lick your fingers.

If you don’t have anything else to ask. Merry Christmas. I love all of you. 

Tell the Dean, Joan, and Cloteel and the other neighbors thanks. 

Love you all. 

Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment